A Statewide Network For Biology Educators
Spring Conference 6/2 – 6/4, 2017
Register and submit fees by May 19th
The spring 2017 Conference is being held at the Ralph McMullan Center sits nestled among beautiful trees near the sparkling waters of Higgins Lake. This facility has serviced the state of Michigan for over 70 years and recently, new buildings were designed to elegantly fit in with the surrounding structures and woods. This will be our sixth year of hosting the spring conference at the MacMullan Conference Center. The location has made it possible for more teachers from Northern Michigan to attend our conference. It is truly a place to relax, enjoy nature, socialize and network with other community college instructors. There are also lots of fun activities like wildlife sketching, a Houghton Flats Bird Walk, Wildlife Art Gallery/Coffee Shop outing, chair yoga for the office and canoeing/cayaking.
Due to the circumstances of this destination conference, you MUST preregister.
MCCB memberships need to be renewed prior to or at every Fall Conference.
• “The Effects of Sensory Experience and Sleep on Neural Circuits, Mechanisms
Underlying Nervous System Plasticity and Memory Formation ” Susan Aton
• Kirtland Warbler Festival: Nature Presentations, Vendors and Activities.
• Guided Kirtland Warbler Tour at the Michigan Forest Visitor Center within Hartwick
Pines State Park.
• “Evolution and Intelligent Design” Susan Stewart
• Biointeractive Talk and Workshop (HHMI)
• 4th Annual MCCB Photo Contest: It’s the return of the popular photo contest and
silent auction. This event is at its best with more photo entries. Please keep your
eyes open and camera/phone ready to snap some biological images. There have
been some great cell phone photos submi#ed before. The more participation the
merrier. (See a#achments with this email or the MCCB website for the entry form
for more information.
• 2nd Annual 5K Run/Walk: Enjoy the beautiful scenery of the Higgins Lake Area by
participating in the second MCCB fitness event. All are encouraged to participate.
Last year about 20 people enjoyed the natural beauty while getting some exercise
and everyone had fun. Forms will be available at the Conference, but some might
want this advance notice to start training early. You can also pre-register for this
event when you register for the conference.
MCCB provides a state-wide forum for sharing instructional techniques and up-to-date information for teaching college-level biology. The organization fosters communication, friendship, and unity among the biologists of the
twenty-nine community colleges in the State of Michigan. Our logo reflects the location of those 29 colleges. Two state-wide conferences are held annually.
Founded in the early 1980’s, MCCB began as an offshoot of COSIP (the College Science Improvement Program). Two COSIP groups were originally created in Michigan: a southern group of colleges (associated with the University of Michigan/Dearborn and directed by Dr. Hertzler) and a northern group of colleges (associated with Central Michigan University and directed by Dr. Carl Scheel). The initial meeting to form a statewide organization of community colleges took place at Delta College in 1981. The first slate of officers was elected at that time, with Eldon Enger as President and Janet Dettloff as Vice-President
- MCCB Executive Board Meeting – December 2017 February 9, 2017
- Fall Conference 2016 December 30, 2016
- MCC (Montcalm Community College) has openings for adjunct instructors December 28, 2016
- MCCB Executive Board Summer Meeting July 8, 2016
- Spring Conference 2016 May 29, 2016